Locked user profiles in Windows 7/Vista/2008

I’ve been experiencing this problem at work for over a year. After the system was up for an undetermined period of time, users who logged in would sometimes receive the following message.

You have been logged on with a temporary profile. You cannot access your files and files created in this profile will be deleted when you log off. To fix this, log off and try logging on later. Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator.

This appears in the event log as event id 1502, 1515, and 1511.

I had tried to resolve the problem numerous times and was never able to find any answers better than “restart the system”. Not good enough. Then yesterday, I FINALLY found a thread which accurately identified the cause of the problem. Apparently, it’s Google Updater!

One poster on another thread solved the issue by uninstalling Google Updater, however, I didn’t want to go so far just yet. Instead, I disabled the scheduled tasks setup by Google and the Google Updater Service. I scheduled a restart on the server and, so far, I haven’t seen the locked profiles issue again.

Update: I did more testing on this and the solution is indeed to remove Google Updater. I re-enabled the “GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore” and “GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA” tasks, and things seem to be working fine.